Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dr. Kwak-Kim

So we went down to Chicago to see Dr. Kwak on Tuesday. The night before I had to fast after 8:00 p.m. and then in the morning, 1 hour before, I had to drink 32 ounces of water to have a full bladder. Well after 2 bottles my bladder didn't feel full, so I started on my third - Ugh! Hard to do! They took me back to do the bloodwork first. They took A LOT of blood. I think about 15 tubes, but they weren't all full. The nurse was very nice and we talked through the whole thing. I've had so much blood taken that it was no big deal, although I have never had them take this much at once! So by that time, my bladder was very full and I was hoping I wouldn't have to wait too long. Luckily, they took me right in for the ultrasounds. My husband wasn't allowed to come back for the ultrasounds, and he wanted to, but I guess they don't allow it. I had a transabdominal ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound. They found some small fibroids that they said weren't a big deal and they also saw something that they said looked like a polyp. They said my lining didn't look great and my blood flow wasn't as good as they want it to be. They saw a large follicle and said I was about to ovulate. Luckily, I've never had a problem producing follicles or with ovulation.

She also did a physical exam as well. She noticed I have varicose veins and told me that I really need to wear support hose. (They even found these veins around my uterus!) I've always had "old lady legs". It's funny because my mom doesn't...

Anyway, she then had my husband and I go to a conference room and she told us some things that she thought might be happening. It could be NK cells, but she would have to get the results from the bloodwork. My husband asked if it was encouraging that the Prednisone worked to at least get us to a chemical and if maybe that was an indicator that the treatment for any immune issues wouldn't be as severe. She seemed to think so, but again, can't be sure of anything until she sees the bloodwork. She also said that she will work with my doctor and I probably won't have to come to Chicago very often, which is great because the 5 1/2 hour drive was long and the traffic there is not good! She will call in a few weeks to give me the results of the blood tests and come up with a plan. She gave me a booklet that lists drugs that her patients are commonly given, along with their side effects. She also wants me to make an appointment for the HSG to see if I do have a polyp. I've never had one, so I don't even know what will happen if I do have one!

I'm so glad that we finally went to see her and are moving forward! :)


Post a Comment